Established in 1922, Vancouver College is the only all boys, independent Catholic school in British Columbia. Vancouver College is served by the Congregation of Christian Brothers and held in trust and operated by Vancouver College Limited. As a faith and learning community, our mission is to educate boys and young men from diverse backgrounds in the tradition of Blessed Edmund Rice. At the core of Vancouver College is a community of Christian Brothers and dedicated lay educators motivated by a spirit of faith and zeal.
Through our commitment to the Essential Elements of Catholic Education at Vancouver College, we prepare our students for a life dedicated to achievement, leadership, and service to the church and community.
Blessed Edmund Rice was given the grace to respond to the call of Jesus by identifying with Christ in the poor. His example evoked a deep awareness of God's loving presence in all with whom he came in contact. He also awakened within them a consciousness of their dignity as children of God. He invited his followers to share the Gospel insight to reach out to the needy, especially the materially poor.
The life of Blessed Edmund Rice – businessman, husband, father, widower, religious brother, teacher, and founder – challenges all involved in Christian Brother Education to live and teach Gospel values. His vision inspires the Essential Elements of an Edmund Rice Christian Brother Education at Vancouver College:
- Evangelize youth within the mission of the Church.
- Proclaims and witnesses to its Catholic identity.
- Stands in solidarity with those marginalized by poverty and injustice.
- Foster and invigorate a community of Faith.
- Celebrate the value and dignity of each person and nurture the development of the whole person.
- Call for collaboration and shared responsibility in its mission.
- Pursue excellence in all its endeavours.
- Promote vocations.