Blessed Edmund was given the grace to respond to the call of Jesus by identifying with Christ in the poor. His example evoked a deep awareness of God's loving presence in all with whom he came in contact. He awakened within them a consciousness of their dignity as children of God. He invited his followers to share his gospel insight, and empowered them to reach out to the needy, especially the materially poor.
The life of Blessed Edmund Rice - businessman, husband, father, widower, religious brother, teacher, and founder - challenges all involved in Christian Brother education to live and teach gospel values in today's world. His charism inspires the Essential Elements of a Christian Brother Education:
"Edmund Rice was moved by the Holy Spirit to open his whole heart to Christ present and appealing to him in the poor (1984 General Chapter)."
In ministry begun by Jesus Christ and inspired by the vision of Blessed Edmund Rice, a Catholic education at Vancouver College calls our faith and learning community to:
EVANGELIZE YOUTH WITHIN THE MISSION OF THE CHURCH
- Vancouver College proclaims the Good News of Jesus Christ in word and deed in communion with and under the leadership of the Archbishop of Vancouver.
- The Gospel message of Jesus permeates the entire curriculum, the activities, and all other aspects of education at Vancouver College.
- Encourage young people to a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Provide opportunities for liturgies, retreats, vocation awareness workshops, and daily prayer.
PROCLAIM AND WITNESS TO ITS CATHOLIC IDENTITY
- Vancouver College gives priority to religious instruction with opportunities for faith formation and theological understanding.
- Vancouver College participates in the sacramental life of the Church and models a living faith through the prominent use of signs and symbols.
- Vancouver College fosters devotion to Mary and the communion of saints.
- Catholic identity permeates all endeavours of education at Vancouver College: all classes and activities, procedures and policies, services and programs.
- All staff involved in education at Vancouver College give daily witness to their integral role in the community’s faith formation.
STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH THOSE MARGINALIZED BY POVERTY AND INJUSTICE
- Vancouver College promotes policies and structures that reflect a climate of compassion for the disadvantaged.
- Education at Vancouver College includes advocacy and education for peace and justice, care for the earth, and global awareness. It prepares students to work towards the creation of a just society.
- Vancouver College actively encourages ministries that work with and serve the poor and marginalized.
- Education and support for mission areas at home and abroad characterize a Catholic education at Vancouver College.
- Vancouver College establishes tuition and scholarship policies that open its education to the poor and disadvantaged.
FOSTER AND INVIGORATE A COMMUNITY OF FAITH
- Vancouver College witnesses and celebrates Gospel values.
- Vancouver College provides a disciplined, safe atmosphere in which students are free to grow and to take responsibility for their own learning and for the life of the community.
- Sustain caring, compassionate, and respectful relationships throughout the Vancouver College educational community.
- Embrace the human condition and welcome God’s healing.
CELEBRATE THE VALUE AND DIGNITY OF EACH PERSON AND NURTURE THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE WHOLE PERSON
- Vancouver College promotes respect for each individual as created in the image and likeness of God.
- Vancouver College values the diversity of the human family and seeks to reflect local diversity in its student population and professional staff.
- Strong programs of personal, professional, and pastoral care are integral to education at Vancouver College.
- Vancouver College values co-curricular activities, special events, and other programs that are important to students’ sense of self worth, feelings of accomplishment, and complete education.
- Vancouver College strives to provide just remuneration for its staff.
CALL FOR COLLABORATION AND SHARED RESPONSIBILITY IN ITS MISSION
- Vancouver College empowers all members of the community to share responsibility in the shaping of its mission.
- Vancouver College collaborates with parents who are the primary educators.
- Vancouver College fosters collaboration with other Christian Brother ministries on local, national, and international levels to address common concerns and to celebrate a common heritage.
- Vancouver College encourages a deeper understanding and living of the charism of Blessed Edmund Rice.
- Vancouver College promotes active governance by its Board of Directors.
PURSUE EXCELLENCE IN ALL ITS ENDEAVOURS
- Strong academic curriculum, high expectations, and a quest for excellence characterize a Catholic education at Vancouver College.
- Catholic education at Vancouver College develops a curriculum that promotes the harmonious growth of the whole person, fosters the development of higher order learning, and prepares its students for life-long learning.
- Each boy is encouraged to do his best in all classes and school activities.
- Vancouver College encourages its students to consider vocations to the priesthood and religious life.