Assistant Principal, Senior School
Vancouver College, founded in 1922, is a Catholic school for boys with over 1,000 students from K – Grade 12. The school is well known for its spiritual program, outstanding academics, an expansive extra and co-curricular program, and high caliber teaching staff.
Approaching its next century of providing inspiring education for young men, Vancouver College has embarked on a process of continuous improvement, pedagogical transformation and campus renewal; as it leads the way in innovative practice while honouring its deeply rooted traditions.
The policy of Vancouver College is to hire, when available, qualified Catholics, who in addition to carrying out their professional responsibilities will model the values espoused by Blessed Edmund Rice as articulated by the school’s Essential Elements.
The incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Senior School in the following areas:
- Organizes procedures, which ensure accurate record-keeping of attendance, achievement, and standardized test results.
- Oversees admissions, registration and withdrawal procedures of students in Grades 10-12.
- Reports teacher absences for Senior School and coordinates substitute services and substitute orientation.
- Ensures staff and students are familiar with Emergency Procedures Protocols.
- In collaboration with the other Assistant Principals, assumes the role of Principal in the absence of the Principal.
- May be nominated by the Principal to serve as the Principal’s representative on a Board Committee.
- Serves as an ad hoc member of the Executive of the Parents’ Association.
- Ensures the Campus Ministry Team conducts effective programs in the Senior School.
- Ensures consistency and accountability in the daily actualization of the school Code of Conduct.
- Oversees the supervision of Senior School students at school and school-related activities.
- Promotes an atmosphere that will foster desirable student/teacher/home relationship.
- Organizes and coordinates student assemblies as required.
- Oversees the induction of teachers new to Vancouver College and oversees the orientation of teachers new to the Senior School.
- Holds regular and systematic section and team meetings.
- In consultation with the Principal, determines elective courses and teacher assignments.
- Oversees course selection and master timetable process for the Senior School.
- Oversees the admissions process for students entering Grades 10, 11 and 12, including International Students, in a manner consistent with the Admissions Priority Considerations and recommends candidates to the President and Principal.
- Assists the Assistant Principal of the Middle School with Open House and writing of Entrance Exams.
- Engages all teachers in the Senior School in an annual Professional Growth Plan and monitors each plan in such a way to enhance the teacher learning process.
- Supervises Senior School staff regularly to ensure curriculum objectives are being met.
- Assists the Principal in the formal evaluation of staff as required.
- Promotes and supports Professional Development activities for teachers in the Senior School.
- Assists the Principal in hiring of new staff as required.
- Establishes collaborative relationships with staff, which will contribute to good staff morale and an atmosphere permitting professional academic growth.
- Assists the Principal in establishing and maintaining a positive relationship with the school community.
- Ensures effective communication with the Vancouver College Community through newsletters and electronic means.
- Ensures Senior School teachers are engaged in the process of continuous improvement as prescribed by the school’s Continuous Improvement Framework.
- In consultation with the Principal, engages in other initiatives assigned to improve programming at Vancouver College.
- Oversees the preparation of course outlines in Grade 10 to Grade 12.
Priority Consideration will be given to candidates who possess the following:
- Current pastoral reference, confirming the candidate is an engaged Roman Catholic,
- A postgraduate degree in administration or related field or enrolment in a post graduate program,
- A minimum of three years successful administrative or equivalent educational leadership experience.
Full-time (1.0 FTE) continuing position.
Submit applications with supporting documents (Cover Letter of Intent, Curriculum Vitae, Teacher Certification, Pastoral Reference) to Mr. Johnny Bevacqua, President elect, c/o firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2, 2020.
Employment Start Date:
August 24, 2020
For additional information on working at Vancouver College, please visit our Join Us webpage, or view our school profile below.