Managing traffic safety continues to be a major priority at Vancouver College. During our campus redevelopment, we will need to amend our travel patterns and specifically be more thoughtful with how we travel and where we park.
Drop Off & Pick Up Zones
There are only two access points to the school for students:
- on the east side of Cartier Street for vehicles travelling northbound
- on the west side of Hudson Street for vehicles travelling southbound
Please use the access point based on the direction from which you are approaching the school. A friendly reminder that the staff parking lot is not a drop-off zone for students.
West 38th Avenue between Hudson and Cartier Streets should not be used as this will be restricted by construction vehicles throughout the year.
Elementary School Pick-Up Procedures
All Elementary School students may be dropped off following the guidelines above, but MUST be picked up by their parents at dismissal (2:45 PM). Kindergarten students must be picked up from their classroom, while parents of sons in Grades 1-6 can collect their sons from the courtyard.
Parents are encouraged to park on the north side of West 37th Avenue and walk the short distance to campus.
- The Fire Department advises that it is dangerous to stop or park on the south side of 38th Avenue to drop off or pick up students, as this hinders the exiting of their trucks from the fire station.
- The school parking lot is for staff use only. There are to be NO drop offs or pick-ups in the school parking lot.
While there is some on-street parking available for vehicles, drivers are reminded to not park in front of homes in our neighbourhood. Please familiarize yourself with the Vancouver College traffic guidelines and the City of Vancouver Parking Bylaws, a copy of which can be obtained from the City Clerk (604-873-7276) or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cars inappropriately or illegally parked on residential streets may be ticketed and towed. Please be respectful of our neighbours.
- Do NOT stop in the red "Ticketing Area" shown in the picture below. (This area is a 25 meter long stretch in front of the Manrell Hall loading zone, between two No Stopping signs.)
- If you are driving north along the east side of Cartier Street, "Safe Zones" include:
- An 115 meter long stretch that runs alongside O'Hagan field (begins just after 41st Ave) to the start of the "Ticketing Area"
- An 80 meter long stretch that runs north of the "Ticketing Area" between 39th Ave and 38th Ave
- If you are in a "Safe Zone" please do your best to pull all the way up to the corner of Cartier and 38th to give other parents behind you space to stop
- If you are south of the "Ticketing Area" (closer to 41st Ave) and there is no room to pull ahead, feel free to drop your son off alongside O'Hagan field