Blessed Edmund was given the grace to respond to the call of Jesus by identifying with Christ in the poor. His example evoked a deep awareness of God's loving presence in all with whom he came in contact. He awakened within them a consciousness of their dignity as children of God. He invited his followers to share his gospel insight, and empowered them to reach out to the needy, especially the materially poor.
The life of Blessed Edmund Rice - businessman, husband, father, widower, religious brother, teacher, and founder - challenges all involved in Christian Brother education to live and teach gospel values in today's world. His charism inspires the Essential Elements of a Christian Brother Education:
"Edmund Rice was moved by the Holy Spirit to open his whole heart to Christ present and appealing to him in the poor (1984 General Chapter)."
THE SEVEN ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS OF A CATHOLIC EDUCATION AT VANCOUVER COLLEGE
In ministry begun by Jesus Christ and inspired by the vision of Blessed Edmund Rice, a Catholic education at Vancouver College calls our faith and learning community to:
- EVANGELIZE YOUTH WITHIN THE MISSION OF THE CHURCH
- PROCLAIM AND WITNESS TO ITS CATHOLIC IDENTITY
- STAND IN SOLIDARITY WITH THOSE MARGINALIZED BY POVERTY & INJUSTICE
- FOSTER AND INVIGORATE A COMMUNITY OF FAITH
- CELEBRATE THE VALUE AND DIGNITY OF EACH PERSON & NURTURE THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE WHOLE PERSON
- CALL FOR COLLABORATION AND SHARED RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE MISSION
- PURSUE EXCELLENCE IN ALL ENDEAVOURS