Safety First & Safe Streets
Introducing SAFETY FIRST - VC’s New Safe Streets Program
There is no VC volunteer activity more important than our Safe Streets program, designed to ensure the safe drop-off and pick up of our students each and every school day throughout the year.
With this in mind, School Administration and the VCPA have redesigned our Safe Streets program, with the goal of creating a Safe Streets team of dedicated and trained parents that are empowered to make a positive difference to the safety of our children during drop off and pick up.
We are looking for parents to join this new Safe Streets team as dedicated Leaders or Members starting in September 2021.
- Safe Streets Leaders will commit to at least 25 Safe Streets shifts in the upcoming year. The Leaders will provide leadership on the street, for the Members. We are looking for 30 families to become Leaders, committing to 25 shifts or more.
- Safe Streets Members will commit to at least 5 Safe Streets shifts in the upcoming year. The Members will perform the Safe Streets shift, similar to the current practice, but with a Leader offering guidance and direction. We are looking for about 200 families to become Members, committing to 5 shifts or more.
- With this new program, it is our hope to retire the mandatory requirement for all families to do Safe Streets shifts.
- Training will be provided to all members of the Safe Streets teams to help enhance the safety of the volunteers and the students.
- The bonus hours awarded for Safe Streets shifts will change under this new Safe Streets program.
- Leaders who complete 25 shifts will be awarded 5 bonus hours, and will be exempt from any other participation requirements, if they choose.
- Members will be awarded 1 bonus hour for each 5 shifts completed.
- Each shift totals 1 hour of volunteer service to Vancouver College. As shifts are expected to be 40 minutes long, a bonus of 20 minutes for each shift will be added for all Leaders and Members.
Expressions of Interest
- If you are interested in being a part of this exciting new direction for the Safe Streets program, please sign up at OnVolunteers, choosing either the Leader or Member option. (If you need help logging into OnVolunteers, please see our PPP homepage)
- The deadline for signing up is June 18, 2021.
- The purpose of this expression of interest (sign up) is to determine if there is enough interest for this new direction to be viable.
What happens if not enough parents sign up?
- If there is not enough interest by parents to be part of the new Safe Streets program, we will revert to the current program, which is mandatory for all parents. It is likely that the requirement will increase to 2 shifts per family, and it is likely that a financial penalty will be imposed for parents that do not participate.
Thank you for your support of our Safe Streets program, and the safety of our sons.
If you have any questions about this new direction, please contact Frank Tarape at firstname.lastname@example.org.