Emotional Well-Being and Counselling

Personal Counselling and Referral

What is Personal Counselling?

Counselling is sharing your feelings and thoughts with a trained professional who can guide you through exploring your feelings, help you learn new ways of approaching your experiences and relationships, help you to set goals and be there to listen and support you in a safe and confidential environment.

Counselling is confidential with some exceptions which will be explained to you when you come for your first appointment.

What can I get counselling for?

Students come for counselling when they are experiencing difficulties, managing a new stage or change in their lives, for learning life skills for self-improvement, and/or to prevent future problems.

How does counselling at the school work?

Students can drop by or make an appointment to see Ms. Beck (mbeck@mail.vc.bc.ca) who can provide short term counselling and may provide a referral to another professional if appropriate.

When should I get counselling?

Students pursue counselling for these reasons and many others:

  • Relationship and communication difficulties.
  • Stress and/or anxiety management
  • Depression
  • Anger management
  • Sleep difficulties
  • Motivational difficulties
  • Decision making or problem solution
  • Future planning
  • Self-growth and personal development
  • Substance use issues
  • Self-esteem issues
  • Grief and loss


If you are experiencing a crisis, which may include abuse, thinking about harming yourself or someone else, or feeling very emotionally distraught, you need to speak with a professional immediately.

Make contact with any member of the staff and they will assist you in connecting with Ms. Beck or another professional.

Outside of school hours you should let an adult know and/or contact:

The Crisis Centre 24/7 Access (by phone): (604) 872-3311

Youth Space 24/7 Access (by chat or text):  www.youthspace.ca (chat) 778-783-0177 (text)

Kids Help Phone 24 Hour Line: 1-800-668-6868

During the Covid Pandemic, Vancouver Child and Youth Mental Health is offering remote intake by zoom or telephone for youth age 6 - 18. Please visit this link for details of days, times, and contact information: Remote Intake Clinics and Specialized Programs Response Plan for COVID -19

CART:Child & Adolescent Response Team (for students experiencing acute distress who live in Vancouver).

604- 874-2300

START: Child and Adolescent Response Team (for students experiencing acute distress who live in South Surrey/Whiterock). Open M-F 9-9, S/S and holidays 12-9.


TRACC: Child and Adolescent Response Team (for students experiencing acute distress who live in Richmond)


Access and Assessment Centre (for students experiencing distress who are 17 years of age or older and live in Vancouver


Please refer to the sublinks in this section for detailed information, articles, pamphlets, and links on particular subjects including anger management, depression, loss and grief, mental health services, personal counselling and referral, separation anxiety and school refusal, and stress management. Resources for counselling in the community are also provided.

The Student Services Centre also houses a large collection of self-help pamphlets and books for students and their families.